Daniel advises hotel, condo-hotel, restaurant and nightclub operators, assisting with purchase contracts, leases, due diligence, rental management agreements, permitting, licensing, trademark registrations, and other compliance matters. Daniel also assists hospitality establishments with their day to day, operational legal matters, advising on a wide array of issues such as vendor contracts, sales & marketing agreements, guest relations issues, employment matters, ADA compliance, alcohol & beverage matters, data privacy, and litigation.
Among his many hotel-related litigation matters, Daniel served as lead counsel in a landmark arbitration case, following a “midnight raid” termination of a local hotel operator by the owner. The case was widely regarded as one of the most important hospitality-related cases of the year and has been discussed at many hospitality industry conferences. As a result of his successful representation of the hotel operator in that case, he was recognized as a finalist for the Daily Business Review’s prestigious “Most Effective Lawyers: Arbitration” award.
More recently, Daniel achieved a successful result in a high-stakes trademark dispute involving short-term rentals at condominium hotels. The case has important, nationwide implications in that it significantly restricts the extent to which real estate brokers and private unit owners at condominium hotels can use the hotel’s trademark to market units for rent.
Daniel is an active member of many hospitality-related organizations. He is Vice President of the South Florida Chapter of HFTP (Hospitality Finance and Technology Professionals), and an active member of the Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys (AHIA), Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association (FRLA), Greater Miami and the Beaches Hotel Association (GMBHA) and Onsite Property Management Association (OPMA).
Daniel is also an adjunct professor at the Florida International University Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management as well as Broward College, where he teaches hospitality law to aspiring hoteliers.
Prior to joining Sandman Savrann, Daniel was a real estate and hospitality partner at Shutts & Bowen in Miami. Daniel was also a litigator at the highly regarded litigation law firm of Kozyak Tropin & Throckmorton in Miami and, prior to that, a member of the nationally-renowned real estate practice group at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson in New York.
Daniel is a graduate of Harvard Law School and earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Florida. He is fluent in Spanish and Italian.
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- Founder and President, Harvard Real Estate Consortium
- Vice President, Student Government
- President, Harvard Law School Real Estate Association
- University of Florida, B.A. and B.S.
Professional and Community Activities
- Vice President, Hospitality Financial and Technology Professionals (HFTP), South Florida Chapter,
- Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys (AHIA)
- Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association (FRLA)
- Greater Miami and the Beaches Hotel Association (GMBHA)
- Florida Bar Grievance Committee
- Friends of the Israel Defense Force (FIDF)
- Florida Super Lawyers, Real Estate, Rising Star, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Daily Business Review, “On the Rise” Award for Professional Excellence, 2017
- Dade County Bar Association, Dade Legal Aid-Put Something Back, “Advocate of Pro Bono Commitment Award,” December 2016
- Dade County Bar Association, “Legal Luminaries,” Finalist, 2016 and 2017
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, “40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County,” November 2013
- Daily Business Review, “Most Effective Lawyers: Arbitration” Finalist, December 8, 2014
- Speaker, “A Look Ahead: The Transaction Climate for Buyers and Sellers,” The Lodging Conference, September 2019
- Speaker, “ADA Compliant Websites and Service Animals,” FRLA Monroe County, July 2019
- Panelist, “The Rising Cranes of Miami: Hot Topics in Real Estate,” Miami-Dade Bench & Bar Conference, March 2019
- Speaker, “Hotel Safety Solutions and Panic Buttons,” Hospitality Finance and Tech Professionals (HFTP), November 2018
- Speaker, “The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is here! How it affects you and what you should do to prepare,” GMBHA and HFTP South Florida Chapter, August 2018 (encore presentation)
- Speaker, “ADA Website Accessibility Seminar,” GMBHA and Miami Lighthouse for the Blind, August 2018
- Speaker, “The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is here! How it affects you and what you should do to prepare,” GMBHA and HFTP South Florida Chapter, July 2018
- Speaker, “The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is here! How it affects you and what you should do to prepare,” GMBHA, June 2018
- Speaker, “Hot Legal Topics Affecting Condo-Hotels,” Onsite Property Management Association (OPMA) Executive Summit, May 2018 and November 2018
- Speaker, “Law & Order: Hospitality,” Greater Miami and the Beaches Hotel Association, May 2018
- Keynote Speaker, “Preventing Wrongful Trademark Practices by Brokers and Owners in Condo-Hotels,” Onsite Property Management Association (OPMA) Executive Summit, November 2017
- Speaker, “Hotel Sales and Marketing Contracts,” Meeting Planners’ Panel Discussion, August 2017
- Moderator, “State of the Market: Are Distressed Deals Coming Back?,” Dade County Bar Association, February 2017
- Presenter, “Important Alerts for All Hotels: Your Folios May Expose You to a Federal Lawsuit,” Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce Tourism & Hospitality Council, October 2016
- Presenter, “Your Zika-Related Losses May Be Covered by Your Business Interruption Insurance,” Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce Tourism & Hospitality Council, October 2016
- Speaker, “Hospitality Law with the Giants,” Miami-Dade Bench & Bar Conference, February 2015
- Speaker, “Best Practices in Handling Foreclosure-Related Motions,” Dade County Bar Association, January 2014
- Moderator, “Legends of Arbitration,” Dade County Bar Association, November 2013
- Speaker, “Il Contenzioso Negli USA” (US Litigation), Apindustria, Vicenza, Italy November 2012
- Banning Ex-Employees May Violate Federal Law, Shutts & Bowen Hospitality Blog, July 2017
- Hospitality Q&A: What are the Penalties for Employing Unauthorized Aliens?, Shutts & Bowen Hospitality Blog, March 2017
- Lessons from the News: Trump Hotel Sues Titans LB Justin Staples Over Unpaid Wedding Bill, Shutts & Bowen Hospitality Blog, March 2017
- Service Animals at Restaurants: 5 Things Restauranteurs Should Know, Shutts & Bowen Hospitality Blog, December 2016
- Judge Puts the Brakes on the DOL’s New Overtime Rule, Shutts & Bowen Hospitality Blog, November 2016
- Your Zika-Related Losses May be Covered by Your Business Interruption Insurance: What You Need to Know, Shutts & Bowen Hospitality Blog, October 2016
- Important Alert: Your Folios May Expose You to a Federal Lawsuit, Shutts & Bowen Hospitality Blog, October 2016
- 7 Things You Need to Know About the Department of Labor New Overtime Rule, Shutts & Bowen Hospitality Blog, September 2016
- Author, “Key Contractual Provisions Hotel Operators Should Consider to Prevent a “Midnight Raid”: Lessons Learned From the Setai Litigation,” Law360, January 2015